Thursday, August 28, 2008

The things kids say....

People always say that you should take lots of pictures of your children when they are young or write down the funny things they say or do because one day you won't remember.

Well about a year ago, I started keeping a journal about our kids. I write down funny stories or cute stages they go through in hopes that one day I will pass on this journal on to their children. Whether it is used for blackmail purposes or a good laugh is up to my future grandchildren.

One of my favorite stories is last July when I ran a stop light in front of the police station, not one of my prouder moments. Alayna had been talking non stop and I wasn't paying attention. The nice policeman that I passed when I ran the red light, pulled me over.

Our kids were so amazed. When he came up to the window, Alayna saw his gun and asked loudly "Is he going to shoot you mama?" If that wasn't embarrassing enough, Brantley said also loudly "Are you under arrested?" I am sure the cop thought I must be really guilty of something. I tried to explain that my daughter was talking so much that I got distracted. I started to ask him to drive around the block with her, then he would see what I meant.

I still got the ticket. I ended up having to go to driving school to get it dropped. I wasn't happy at the time, but now it ended up being a good story to pass along and a good learning experience for my kids that even grown ups pay a price for breaking the rules.

A few weeks later, our interim pastor preached about how sin was like a ticket and when you asked Jesus to come into your heart, your sin "ticket" was ripped up. During the invitation, Brantley was begging me to go forward and have my "ticket" ripped up. I know the people sitting around me thought what a sweet child he was trying to get his mom to go forward and accept Christ. I am sure they though I was a cold hearted mom who wouldn't go forward. I guess I should have taken the ticket out of my purse and went forward.

1 comment:

The Rectors said...

At least you didn't cuss in front of the kids, i might have.

Kent

Flag Football

Flag Football
Here comes #81